Wednesday 19 February 2014

My top 10 Bad Book Habits


Ah sweet sweet guilty pleasure that comes with reading a book. I’m sure every bookworm have this problem. And of course I’m no different. But I notice a lot of them tend to be ashamed of this bad habits. I on the other hand think this is one way to define me. Does that even make sense? LOL

1.       I snap at people
Yes it’s true, I snap at people who interrupt me when I’m reading a book. Usually when I’m reading, I like to be left alone, so I usually lock myself in the room or sit away from people. It’s my way of telling people I’m in my zone don’t disturb me or I’ll bite.  So when you see me in that zone, it’s a big NO NO for you to nudge me, call my name or try to grab my book. If I’m in public place I put on my earphones and pretend to listen to song while I read my book.  I also hate it when my phone vibrates nonstop when I’m reading. I snap at it too.

2.       I have to finish a chapter
I have to finish a chapter before I put the book away and do something else. It’s very rare for me to stop halfway in the middle. If I really have to, for instance having to chase a train. I can, but the moment I find a seat I will finish the whole chapter before checking to see if I have all my belongings. 
If I'm at home and reading at night, I’ll be like “um one more chapter” and an hour later “just one more chapter” and this keeps going on until its 3.30am and I am frantically trying to get to bed. And I wake up at 5am. Yes ….stupid I know!

3.       I MUST have my books back
When I borrow my books, I’m very particular to whom I give them to. If they share their book collection with me, I know for sure they have the same fear of not getting the books back in a good condition. That way I know my books are in good hands. If you borrow my books, you are borrowing my babies, please remember to give them back. I really take care of my books. It’s my OCD, I can’t help it. I get edgy if the books gone missing for more than 4 months. Same goes to books I borrow, I will ensure I return them back even if I don’t get to finish the other book.

4.       I have to reread some pages
I don’t know if you have this habit. I mean you read a whole chapter and when you get to next chapter, you’re like “Wait, what the?” your mind goes completely blank and you can’t understand what you are reading. I always do that, this happens a lot in public places because I’m constantly getting distracted over people talking and loud noises. I hate that, because I have to read it so many times.

5.       Flip ahead to check
Before you shoot me, yes I do that, but only to check if my favourite character’s name is still around in the latter chapters. When I spot it, I quickly go back to reading. It’s just sometimes I can’t help it. I don’t read ahead or read the last chapter or anything bad like that. I usually just search for the character’s name I adore. HAHAHA Bite me!!

6.       Buying random books (not really a bad habit)
When it comes to book shopping, I tend to buy books purely base on the synopsis. I don’t really have a specific title I look for, unless of course I spot my favourite author then yes I will get them. When I go to a bookstore or a book sale, I just pick random books with interesting synopsis. Very rarely look up books I want to buy or prepare a list. I just free pick. I believe there are many authors whose stories are great but are not very well published and it gets trampled by famous authors that keeps getting recognition over and over again. I swear I read so many unknown authors and I love it.
So why is it bad? Because sometimes 8 out of 10 books are really bad and that makes me horribly sad.  

7.       Must finish
Yes, it’s a thing. I must finish my books. No matter how bad the writing is. It’s like some sort of unavoidable obligation to all the books I’ve bought. I’ve read some books that was so bad I wanted to throw the books across the room and scream. But I kept reading, as long as it takes. The moment I finish it, I lash out my frustration in goodreads.

8.       Must carry a book at all time!
This is something I always done. I carry a book or a reading material at all time. I even throw in a small book for my vacation, even if I know I won’t have time to read it. I always carry one, and I also carry a second book when I about to finish my first. So basically you can always find me with at least one book in my bag.

9.       Bookshop, Book sale or Book Thrifting
These places are a curse. I just have to walk in a bookshop if I happened to spot one. I feel agitated if I can’t make it to a booksale, especially if it sells books dirt cheap. I can’t help it. I’m so addicted, when I walk in the mall and happen to spot a bookshop, I will march right in there (I also drag anyone who is with me at that time). I may not get anything, but I just have to walk in. I don’t know why. Even if it’s a magazine shop I will still stride it. This tend to irritate my friends and family a lot.

10.   Must use bookmark!!
If you borrow my book and you do a dog ear on my pages. God help me before I do something to you. Use a bookmark, it’s a must! I don’t care if you don’t have one. You can use your ATM card or a pen or even your hair. Please use a bookmark. I hate when people place their opened book facing down! Like people!!! It damages the spine and it leaves an awful aftermath gap in your books. I hate THAT! Why why !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment