Saturday 17 May 2014

Funny ladies and their TV shows

This is my own list of ladies who I think are hilarious. I made this list based on three condition, they must be comedian, have a TV show where they are the main character and they are funny because they are original (not some hot girl trying to act funny). Meaning they are funny because they make fun of what they have (in real life) or they play the character very convincingly.  Oh and let’s not forget that I should also be able to relate to their TV shows.

        Mindy Kaling (Vera Mindy Chokalingam)


She is an American born Indian 35 year old is an American actress, comedian, writer, and producer. Later she created and stared in her own TV show called “The Mindy project”. She initially was know for her acting role in “The Office” as Kelly Kapoor, which is also has written and directed a few of the show’s episode.

Why do I find her funny?
She keeps it simple and real. She is not slim and white skinned like most TV protagonist. Therefore her show revolve around her flaws (if you wanna call it that), and she also makes you feel like its ok if you don’t look like those photoshopped models in magazines. That it’s alright to have a little body fat, awkward embarrassing moments and have loud fashion sense.



The Mindy Project
The series follows obstetrician/gynecologist Mindy Lahiri (Mindy Kaling) as she tries to balance her personal and successful professional life, surrounded by quirky co-workers in a small medical practice in New York City. Her clothing in this show proves that just because you are chubby does not mean you have to wear big baggy clothes and sweat pants.


 How I related to this show ?
I’m going to say this and be honest about it.
I like this show a lot, because unlike typical shows that shows people of different race staying overseas, this show does not focus on the protagonist’s race and culture. I would very much like a show where, let’s say an Indian girl born and raised in USA, should not always force her roots into her show, occasional reference of her culture and background is ok. This show does just that, she does make reference about her culture and roots but always lightly and comedy kinda way. She does not focus on the negativity but just the positive life of a modern Indian girl in America. Also its so rare to find American Indian in TV shows.
THAT IS WHY I ADORE THIS SHOW SO MUCH!
I am Malaysian born Indian girl, born and raised as a modern city girl surrounded by multiracial culture. I also do not like my culture and root to force me to do the things I do not like. I’m not saying I don’t like my culture, I DO but sometimes my culture and my life perspective does not always meet at the same route. I like doing thing differently than most expected of an Indian girl.


                                         (Her relationship with her co worker, Danny)
_______________________________________________________________________________

      Miranda Hart (Miranda Katherine Hart Dyke)


She is a 41 year old British actress, comedian, actor, and writer. She self-written semi-autobiographical radio series Miranda Hart's Joke Shop, which later became a BC sitcom Miranda (based on her radio series) which she writes and stars in. Ah and her gas problem LOL

Why do I find her funny?
Like Mindy she also it simple and real. Also she is not your slim and sexy most TV protagonist. Her show makes you want to embraces her eccentricity. She makes a joke out of her physical flaws (if you want to call it that) and of British slang and pronunciation.


Miranda
Miranda is 6 feet 1 inch tall and gets called 'Sir' once too often. She has never fit in with her old boarding school friends, Tilly (Sally Phillips) and Fanny (Katy Wix), and finds social situations awkward, especially around men.


How I related to this show ?
Check list
Her physical imperfection of 6 feet 1 and slightly manly looks (I get mistaken for teen boy a lot)
Awkward around men (hah I blame that on my all girl schools)
Her gas problem (although I burp like a caveman)
Just plain weird and lack of fashion sense (where do I begin)

                                              (Her relationship with her bestfriend, Stevie)
_______________________________________________________________________________

      Whoopi Goldberg (Caryn Elaine Johnson)


She is a 58 year old American comedian, actress, singer-songwriter, political activist, author and talk show host. Her breakthrough role was playing Celie, a mistreated black woman in the Deep South in the period drama film The Color Purple (1985).
She is a timeless comedian and she had many successful movies and shows. But I put her in this list because I really enjoyed her TV show called “Whoopi”

Why do I find her funny?
Oh my god where do I start, she is a natural and sassy black lady. Her jokes and comedies varies from serious issue to about herself. She is able to send strong and difficult message about blacks, gay rights and independent ladies in her comedy. That’s the work of a good comedian.



Whoopi
A faded singer one-hit wonder Mavis Rae, a cigarette-smoking, alcohol-drinking, menopausal and especially opinionated hotelier. The former one-hit wonder runs her own small hotel in New York City - and does it any way she wants.


  
How I related to this show ?
Can’t really say I can relate to her show like the first two. But I can relate to her activist thoughts in this show. I love the relationship she has with all her main supporting characters and also her guest stars. I love how she speak her mind and not afraid of anything. That is something I can say I can relate to. She is able to make everyone see the big elephant in the room by stating the obvious thing that is in everyone’s mind. That is something I do often, but most of the time it also gets me in trouble LOL

                                         (Her relationship with her handsman, Nasim)
_______________________________________________________________________________

      Tina Fey (Elizabeth Stamatina Fey)

She is a 43 year old American actress, comedian, writer and producer, known for her work on the NBC sketch comedy series Saturday Night Live and such films as Mean Girls, Date Night, Admission (2013) and 30 Rock.
She is also has many contribution to the entertainment media but I am going to focus her in the 30 Rock because that is where I really took a liking to her.

Why do I find her funny?
She always reminds me of this smart independent lady that gets intro crazy situations and has snippy remarks about everything. She is a natural awkward nerdy lady next door. Her smart and sometimes backhand jokes are funny as hell.

30 Rock (Liz Lemon)
Liz Lemon, head writer of the sketch comedy show "TGS with Tracy Jordan", must deal with an arrogant new boss and a crazy new star, all while trying to run a successful TV show without losing her mind.



How I related to this show ?
Checklist
Nerdy looks (aced that)
Dealing with too much problem with little time, although I work as a designer, it was not easy to deal with thorny customer and please everyone. It almost never exists, so when people come to you for help when you already have your handful with your own load of crap, it is so difficult to say NO. This is because there is a goal and the only way to get to that goal is to ensure all your team players get along and nobody is plotting to murder you at the end of the day. Oh and having an arrogant boss that just lives in his own world is OMG SO MY LIFE!

(Her relationship with her boss, Jack Donaghy)

_______________________________________________________________________________

      Katherine Parkinson (Laura Katherine Parkinson)

She is a 36 year old English actress. She is best known for her role as Jen Barber in the comedy series The IT Crowd, for which she received a British Comedy Best TV Actress Award in 2009.

Why do I find her funny?
Now I know she is not the only main protagonist in the show, she share with other actors. The reason I picked her is because she stand out as the only main female protagonist who is not famous because she is sexy or show off her chesticals. She is famous because she is able to carry her Jen character without the need to show off some skin and being adorable IT dope.


The IT Crowd (Jen Barber)
Set in a company called Reynholm Industries, the show revolves around the three staff members of its IT department: a geeky genius named Maurice Moss, the work-shy Roy Trenneman, and Jen Barber, the department head/relationship manager, who knows nothing about IT.
Jen, the newest member of the team, is hopelessly non-technical, despite claiming on her CV that she has "a lot of experience with computers". Her official title is "relationship manager", yet her attempts at bridging the gulf between the technicians and the business generally have the opposite effect, landing Jen in situations just as ludicrous as those of her team-mates. (Statement taken from Wikipedia)



How I related to this show ?
Working with IT people or team players (my life)
Have magnetic aura for attracting weird and in-the-closet gays guys (my life)
Works with ignorant boss and other non IT-illiterate management team (my life)

(Her relationship with Roy and Moss (my fav))

No comments:

Post a Comment